Creative Writing (DL & Low Res)

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Kizmet, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kizmet

Kizmet Moderator

There are only a few Masters degree programs in Creative Writing that can be completed entirely through distance learning. There are many more that require some short residency periods. These “low residency” Masters degree programs are plentiful enough that many people can find one that is geographically near enough to be manageable. I’ve created a list (in no particular order) and I hope that others will fill in any that I’ve left off.

Zero Residency
    National University
    U of British Columbia (100% DL is only “possible”)
    U of Texas - El Paso

Non-US Schools
    Lancaster U
    Manchester Metropolitan U
    DeMontfort U
    U of Glasgow

Low Residency Programs
    Naropa U
    Hollins U - (children’s lit)
    Union Inst. & U - Vermont College of Fine Arts
    Seton Hill U
    Lesley U
    Pacific U
    Goddard C
    Spalding U
    Eastern Kentucky U
    Hunter C: CUNY
    Hamline U - (writing for kids and young adults)
    Goucher C
    U of Alaska - Anchorage
    U of Nebraska
    Prescott C
    Pine Manor C
    Wilkes U
    New England C - (poetry)
    Murray State U
    Seattle Pacific U
    Chatham U
    Carlow U
    U of Texas - Austin - (bilingual)
    Queens U of Charlotte
    U of California - Riverside/Palm Desert
    U of Southern Maine
    Pacific Lutheran U
    Converse C
    Antioch U - Los Angeles
    Antioch U - McGregor
    Warren Wilson C
    Fairleigh Dickenson U
    U of New Orleans
    Drew U - (poetry)
    Northern Arizona U
    Fairfield U
    Western Connecticut State U
    Newcastle U
    CSU Chico

For those keen on nomenclature, most of the programs listed award MFA - Creative Writing degrees. Some are MA degrees.

*Note - I never got to Australia so there are probably at least a few to be found there.

2. TCord1964

TCord1964 New Member

If you include nationally accredited schools, there is also the newly DETC-accredited MA in Creative writing at Perelandra College.

3. Kizmet

Kizmet Moderator

Thanks Terry - I won't be surprised to discover that I've missed a few others.

4. Jodokk

Jodokk Member

Hi

I'm a graduate of Queens U of Charlotte's MFA program...and it is excellent.

5. tcmak

tcmak New Member

6. friendorfoe

friendorfoe Active Member

It's possible these guys may have the least expensive masters degree available...at least that I know of in my limited yet stubbornly adhered to knowledge. Right up there with Fort Hays State U's MLS degree.

7. FLA Expatriate

FLA Expatriate New Member

This report states that University of Louisiana-Monroe will soon add an online MFA in creative writing. Like many public universities in Cajun country, out-of-state tuition fees for online students are waived.

8. Koolcypher

Koolcypher Member

9. Forest Elf

Forest Elf New Member

Does anyone have experience with or further insight into any of the fully online (no residency required) programs mentioned above (or any others in addition to these)? While I'd love to explore some of the low residency options, as a working mom of two young kids, 10 consecutive days away from home, twice a year, doesn't feel workable to me at this point. Thanks so much!

10. Forest Elf

Forest Elf New Member

You may also want to add the Stonecoast MFA through the University of Southern Maine to the low-residency list. I've researched it a fair amount and it seems like a great program, although not one that I can manage at this point, unfortunately.

11. jennej

jennej New Member

I got about halfway through an MFA in Creative Writing at National University, which is fully online. My focus was poetry. I had four classes left to earn my degree, but my husband was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 so I had to drop out. He's cancer-free now, but I decided to pursue a different degree and am now enrolled at Northeastern University, working on an MS in Technical Communication.

I loved the workshop classes at NU and feel that I learned a lot in them. The feedback from the professors and other students was pretty amazing, even when compared to the on-campus workshops I took in undergrad. I completed Seminar in Poetry, Advanced Poetry Workshops A and B, Seminar in Fiction, and Seminar in Non-Fiction. The other required class I took was Pedagogy of Creative Writing (didn't enjoy that class very much; the professor was pretty much checked out the whole time and no one in the class got feedback on our final papers).

Quite honestly, all of the classes were a lot harder than I expected. I mean, A LOT harder. Every week, we were required to read several novels or collections of poetry, read critical analyses and essays, write discussion board responses and papers, and write original work to submit for critique. Each response and paper had a required minimum word length. Critiques given to other students had to meet required minimum word length and other criteria. The non-workshop classes required final papers of around 15-20 pages, and the workshop classes required final projects consisting of manuscripts or chapbooks. There were many nights and weekends when I disappeared into my home office and didn't emerge because of the amount of homework I had to do. When I look back now, I'm surprised I was able to keep up while working a full-time job. If I had kids, I don't think I'd have been able to do it.

That said, I learned a lot while in the program, and I still use much of what I learned in my own personal writing. Even though I didn't finish the program, I definitely feel like I'm a stronger writer because of it.

12. Afterhours

Afterhours Member

I have a few to add - Fairleigh Dickinson University (NJ) West Virginia Wesleyan University, and University of Tampa.

13. Afterhours

Afterhours Member

University of Arkansas at Monticello is a No residency program.

14. Kizmet

Kizmet Moderator