Apparently, of my many faults, I am also a hypocrite

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by dlady, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dlady

dlady Active Member

I criticized DeVry On-line, but just jumped at the chance to teach for them on-campus face-to-face.

I have no defense! Guilty!

DEL

2. Randell1234

Randell1234 Moderator

Well, I think it takes a big man to bring this up. I am not sure what the issue is for most people with DeVry, I took classes at the NJ campus in the mid-80's and the Electronic Technician program was great. It was hard as heck and the instructors were top-notch!

By the way - congrats!! Did the face-to-face have a different feel to it?

3. skidadl

skidadl Member

My older brother has done very well for himself with a DeVry degree.

4. SE Texas Prof

SE Texas Prof Member

Welcome to the fold, dlady! I have been extremely pleased with my association with DeVry University/Keller Graduate School of Management. I've had the unique opportunity to move from student to instructor. It is a great institution and I get the sense that the students will work their butts off in order to learn the material. I could not ask for anything more as an instructor!

FYI--What courses will you be teaching for the face-to-face campus?

5. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Active Member

In my last job at a major aerospace company several of the best test technicians had an associates degrees from DeVry.

6. TCord1964

TCord1964 New Member

7. dlady

dlady Active Member

Well, I have not been through the "training" yet (if any), so I do not know if I will run into the same stuff as the on-line training.

However, to further my hypocrisy, remembering that I have 2 DETC masters and a doctorate from NCU, all 100% on-line and the only way I could have completed them, now that I am teaching both on-line and on-ground, I am struck with the difference, and am starting to wonder if you truly can deliver the same experience, rigor, and so on through DL.

Face-to-face has a hugely different 'feel' to me now. We'll see if DeVry is different, at the local CC no one is climbing into the classroom with me and telling me what to do. The Dean sat in on one class to make sure I was doing a good job. On-line, everything is cookie-cutter and pre-baked (at least at the 2 schools I teach for on-line). I am not saying this is bad, but it is very different! In the classroom we have time to adjust to the individuals, and I can go back to something many people may have missed and spend more time on it. On-line it is more a straight march with little personalization.

It is very fascinating though to be seeing things from this side of the fence.

8. dlady

dlady Active Member

I think hand on technical is there strength.

9. skidadl

skidadl Member

So they only train people with one arm?

Dang, I'm funny.

10. John Bear

John Bear Senior Member

dlady: "...I have 2 DETC masters and a doctorate from NCU..."

John: Just curious: it was in April last year that you posted that you had been accepted into the NCU Ph.D. program. Did you truly complete the entire PhD in a year?

11. me again

me again Well-Known Member

He made inquiry about it in August of 2006 and in June of 2007 he was reportedly already an NCU student. :)

12. John Bear

John Bear Senior Member

Thanks for the info, "me again."

Dr. Lady wrote that "I think we all should be much more open and vocal about professional successes we have and any DL tie ins that exist."

I do agree, and now I confess I'm curious. The link you offered is mostly full of congratulations for having been appointed CTO of a multi-billion-dollar company. But a year later, he moved on, to become CEO of a software startup -- with a service bureau address -- and with a phone number that is now disconnected.

If the career changes were degree-related, it would be interesting to know more.

13. Randell1234

Randell1234 Moderator

This sounds like a really good topic for...an EdD. Maybe that can be your next degree!

14. RFValve

RFValve Well-Known Member

From 2006-2009, this sounds about right, few NCU graduates have reported this time frame from registration to graduation.

15. Randell1234

Randell1234 Moderator

Looks like I will be 2004-2010.

16. dlady

dlady Active Member

I am still consulting but need to update the website; we closed the office down earlier this year as I can run the whole thing from my home/office and my cell phone. Most of my time is split between working from home and visiting client sites.

I also posted a thread where I kept all the statistics around how long the NCU DBA took and how many hours I put in, let me see if I can find it to address your inquiry.

DEL

17. dlady

dlady Active Member

Oh, and the career change was very much degree related. While Marriott is a great company, the things you have to do to function at that level no-longer interest me. I switched to consulting in the non-profit sector and wanted to feel good about getting up in the morning. So now I am teaching online for change (due to the degree) and still consulting, admittedly I have moved out of the non-profit sector and an now in aerospace and manufacturing.

18. dlady

dlady Active Member

I am taking the NCU CAGS in Curriculum and Teaching right now and am on my first class. It turns out I have no passion for the subject matter and find that the routine I was in for so long has faded and it is now more like work to be a student.

However I am researching Vapor Recapture technologies for an article I'm working on that seems to reduce engineering costs for companies that use a lot of chemicals, which I DO find very interesting..

19. dlady

dlady Active Member

http://www.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=29513

Here it is, the first post has all the statistics I kept, it took me 29 months total, you can see the rest there...